Bannerman Green Not-for-Profit Housing Co-op Inc. Project Charter
The intent of Bannerman Green Not-for-Profit Housing Co-op Inc. is to create a new affordable not-for-profit housing co-operative in North Winnipeg that is founded on the following principles:
- Sustainability: To create a supportive residential environment in North Winnipeg that demonstrates how to live lightly on the planet incorporating the highest standards of sustainability and resilience with a commitment to a “climate positive” building with third-party certifications demonstrating net zero energy and zero-carbon production, along with resilience in water, active transportation, food production and sustainable materials.
- Beauty: Through an inclusive design process to create a place of beauty, simplicity and wholeness that fits comfortably into the neighbourhood and reflects the history, natural setting, character and spirit of the wider community.
- Diversity: To build mixed and integrated housing that embraces diversity in all its manifestations and includes residents of different ages, economic backgrounds, gender, family sizes and cultures.
- Accessibility: To provide accessible and barrier-free access throughout all public areas of the building ensuring a safe, dignified and welcoming environment for residents and visitors of all abilities.
- Stability: To ensure governance of the co-op by a not-for-profit board comprised of residents that will provide stable rents and operating costs and provide local control in the neighbourhood long into the future.
- Cost-effectiveness: To target cost-effective construction while not compromising possible additional costs for the commitment to a net-zero goal.
- Participatory Decision Making: To arrive at decisions in a way which is respectful, inclusive, and as informal as possible.
(Last revised on June 9, 2021)